12.02.2010

Pump Jacks and Windmills

I actually wrote this last year on December 4, 2009. When I got back from my Thanksgiving trip to Pampa this year, I sat down to write something about it and realized I never published this one. It's somewhat of a cop-out, but I didn't publish this originally because it was so depressing. It made me want to stop writing, and I pretty much did. I've decided to publish it, for catharsis (thanks, Mr. Nooncaster) if nothing else.






The south end of Christy St. dead ends into a pump jack.  Looking west, across the street, through the gap provided by the Crawford's empty lot and the vacant lot on Farley St. that we called 'Sandra's Lot' (because it was next to Sandra Green's house) and the horse corral across from Sandra's, there were more pump jacks and tank batteries and pipelines.  You could also see Celanese and the carbon black plant.  There were no trees or hills blocking the view.


Farley and Christy were the last two streets in our town.  I don't recall ever seeing the Christy St. pump jack actually running, but I do remember seeing plumes from the stacks at those plants and the smell from Celanese making me nauseous on hot summer days.  I marvel at the things I learned in those few blocks in the southwest corner of Pampa, Texas.  And I wonder if I've done the right thing in abandoning my small town for the big city suburbs.

I drove through the old neighborhood the other day.  Things have certainly changed.  It is an epidemic of bare dirt front yards, chained up dogs and rickety fences around tired houses.  One house, on Faulkner St., across from Hobart St. Baptist Church, was mercifully being repaired.  On the back of that house a sheet of plywood was nailed over the spot where the sliding glass door would be and on that plywood was a sign spray painted with foot high red letters that said:

"Stay Out Or Die Drug Attics"

Since I moved away, whenever I go back to visit, regardless of the circumstances, a profound melancholy always sets in.  It's worse when I drive.  The landscape pulls me inward.  It forces me to reflect and remember the countless trips I've made over that same road for funerals and weddings, for celebrations and interventions, for running to and escaping from.  Over the years each trip has gotten harder and the sadness lasts longer.  The questions never change and I have yet to find an answer.  I don't go up there very often anymore, and I when I do, I usually fly.

Pampa, and my connection to it, has always amazed my wife.  I have lifelong friends from Pampa because simply being from there is enough to build a bond upon.  For the past 25 years we have steadily run into people with connections to Pampa ... 'my Grandmother lived on Somerville and we used to climb the trees in the median' ... 'my Aunt taught school at Horace Mann' ... 'my college roommate was from Pampa' ... 'I used to date a girl from Pampa'  There is, of course, a simple explanation for this phenomenon.  Everybody leaves.

Well, not everyone, but many if not most.  Of course, it's not just Pampa, it's every small town, particularly the ones that are isolated or that have a limited economic base.  Celanese has shut down and you can feel the impact that loss has had on the community.  With limited opportunity many young people choose to leave.  When I was younger I never understood why anyone would stay.  At about 13 years old a big part of my future plans revolved around getting out of Pampa.  Well, at least I accomplished that much.

Now, at fifty years old, I understand why some people would want to stay, and in some ways, I wish I would have.  On the long drive home I usually wonder what would need to happen to make Pampa vibrant, or at least as healthy as I remember from my high school days. What would ease the economic burden, or improve their schools or revitalize their churches?  And then I remember that I left, it's not my home anymore and there is really nothing I can do. I suffer from the curse of always wanting to fix things, to make them better, and the depression that comes from knowing that on the really important things, I can't.


Going home should, I suppose, trigger powerful feelings. They are not totally unpleasant and the resulting introspection can make you feel like you almost get it, like you are quite close to an answer, perhaps even the answer, but so far I have not put my finger on it and I am left with the melancholy of not quite knowing. Me and Don Quixote, tilting at windmills. His were hulking giants to be slayed and plundered. Mine are just Aermotors.



7 comments:

  1. I have moved away several times, but have always come home. Pampa will always be home. I Love the wide open space and light traffic.

    Carol Dyer Richmond

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing the influence Mr. Nooncaster had on all of us from PHS? I moved all the way to BORGER...of all places!
    Becky Sanders Dietz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pampa was only place that made me weepy each time I left. I know now, it wasn't the town - it was my childhood. I feel that way about the whole panhandle so maybe that's why the drive haunts you. We had a lot of long drives around the panhandle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy P...A few weeks ago, I felt the need to drive to Pampa. I went by my mother's house on Comanche and was surprise at how some of the houses weren't cared for, but her looked great. I then went by the cemetaries, the high school, and then by my grandparent's old house. I can assure you...they are rolling over in their graves! It really made me sad, but I think of how much fun I had growing up, and feeling safe if my friends and I walked all over town. To this day, I miss that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. On leaving Pampa, Woody Guthrie said something like: "It was just about the prettiest and the ugliest place you'd ever see..."
    As someone who grew up there, and left, and comes back every now and then to see how very sad it continues to get, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was that my house on Faulkner getting repaired? My thoughts exactly. Love the idea and growing up in Pampa, but it is totally sad. You are a great writer, I should have had Nooncaster..I do not want to live in Pampa, but I love the people that stayed...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family up and moved to Lubbock Tx in 1971. Dad was a shift sup at Celanese and decided it was time to move on. Great memories on South Christy St.

    ReplyDelete